You have to understand the goal is not to mimic and or copy the styles of those you adore, but instead to find a pattern of the things you like; add a touch of your own personal style and recreate it for your lifestyle.
If you read our last blog post Cleaning Out your Closet to Upgrade your Style then you know the first step to redefining your person style is to find out who and what inspires your style.
I’m talking about the looks that you’re always screen shooting, leaving heart emoji comments, and @ing your girlfriends on; I talking about straight #GOALS!
But you have to understand the goal is not to mimic and or copy the styles of those you adore, but instead to find a pattern of the things you like; add a touch of your own personal style and recreate it for your lifestyle.
Take these 5 steps to help you define what it is that you actually like, and what makes the most sense for your lifestyle:
- Find your Muse. Pinterest makes it easier than ever to collect images of actors, models and celebrities, even style bloggers that dress in such a way that catches our eye.
- Find out what types of looks or styles you fan-girl over? Is it a graphic tee + jeans combo? A blazer + slacks combo? Sneakers + dress combo?
- Figure out what about the styles keep repeating. What is it that draws you to these styles? Does the look seem effortless yet polished? Girly and fun? Or power style boss status?
- Ask yourself what kind of silhouette is most flattering and choose a look that falls in line with that. “Do you have great legs and a feminine style? Then maybe a skirt really does make a lot of sense to you.”
- Establish a colour palette and print scheme that’s flattering to you. Check out Pantone Fall Color Report: Trending Colors for Fall 2015 to see the top trending colors for 2016. Choose colors that are universal and with flow throughout seasons like varies shades of cream, maroon, and grey.
Once you have worked through these 5 steps you have the tools you need to start building a “curated collection” which compiles your new personal wardrobe aka your style uniform. Now you can start a list of items that are missing in your current wardrobe. These are items you want to make sure you have since they best reflect your personal style and lifestyle trend.